Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Music, Trees, and Paint! BNHP


   Within the last few weeks, I have spent some time with the Law Enforcement Division (LE) at Boston National Historical Park. I got the opportunity to be a part of the operational planning for the Summer Concert Series. There will be concerts held at the Commandant’s House every Friday in July. Live music accompanied with food trucks allows families to gather on the lawn in the Navy Yard and enjoy the atmosphere. LE maintained a strong presence throughout the event where about 400 people had attended.

'

    The most recent division that I have started to work with is the Maintenance Division. Honestly, I had no idea what to expect. I started out with the custodial team, learning about the different struggles they face along with their safety standards and procedures. For instance, the lack of women in this division reduces the efficiency of the daily work that needs to be maintained. The amount of time it takes to clear the women’s restroom, shut it down, and secure the door can be longer than the restroom’s actual cleaning process.

    In addition to the daily work activities, I found that the National Park Service’s mission statement can be found in the way that the Maintenance Division carries out each of their individual duties. One example would be the grounds team. This team takes pride in the biological health of the park’s plants and trees. After digging up a water line for the irrigation system for repairs, I was able to walk around with one of the rangers to observe the health of different trees and plants. Ants milling up and down trees had been the first indicator that something might be stressing out the tree. From there, we looked along the bark for wounds and fungus. I found myself becoming as equally stressed out as the ranger beside me to find health issues with one of the crab apple trees near gate two. Before this experience, I have only noticed the exterior beauty of the plants and trees around the park. Now it’s hard to ignore any minor health concerns a plant or tree might have which can be kind of concerning.


    I have also started my restoration project for the summer. I will only give one hint - it involves the Cassin Young, WW 2 navy vessel, and the picture displayed to the right. More information about this project will appear in weeks to come. Stay tuned! 

2 comments:

  1. We should have a contest for the coolest restoration project. Think you'll win?

    ReplyDelete