Thursday, June 16, 2016

Cumberland Island NS: Week 2

Cumberland Island NS: Week 2


Nightingale Trail 

This week at CUIS I finally got the opportunity to check out the trail system. I needed to get to know the trails myself so that I would be able to locate visitors requesting emergency medical services, during SAR's and other calls. I also wanted to see how much water and food I needed so that I could make recommendations to visitors from experience. Getting to know the island and the trails are important to responding to visitor calls in a timely matter. I also got to see more of the wildlife while hiking the trails.
Willow Pond Trail Head
Alligator Right off Willow Pond Trail





The most common cause of heat related medical emergencies is unprepared park visitors hiking to Plum Orchard. It is the only mansion on the island that can be toured by visitors and is maintained by the park service. The hike to plum orchard and back is about 16 miles. Many visitors do not bring enough water, do not take enough breaks or push their body beyond its limits during this hike. I hiked to plum orchard to get a feel for the trails and to see what resources I needed to properly hike to plum. When I arrived I talked to visitors about staying hydrated and one of the backpackers I was speaking to passed out right in front of  me. This worked out because I had my medical bag with me but it goes to show how many people underestimate the hike. The patient was an 18 year old male who was very dizzy, light headed, had numbness in his extremities and poor perfusion. This was my first EMS call alone. Ranger Lawrence met up with me while I was transporting the patient via vehicle to the dock. We then transferred the patient from the vehicle to the boat and transported him to St. Mary's where an ALS ambulance was waiting.


Happy World Sea Turtle Day (6/16/16) !!!


Sea turtle tracks that lead to a nest

 CUIS currently has over 350 sea turtle nests on the island. Many visitors come to try to see the turtles come ashore at night to lay their eggs. There is no beach driving after sunset from March 1-October 31 because of the turtles and only red flashlights can be used at night on the beach. the turtles are protected under the Georgia Shoreline Protection Act. The visitor center provides red film for campers to put over their flashlights.

Week 2 Lessons Learned
  • Don't go too far without my medical bag or vehicle
  • Make sure your radio is scanning
  • Radio my location right away
  • Carry Patient Care Reports in my backpack
  • Give the patient oxygen RIGHT AWAY
  • Always check a patient for weapons
 

No comments:

Post a Comment