Friday, June 17, 2016

My second week at Santa Monica National Recreation Area was spent seeing a unique side of the NPS. At SAMO, permits and special uses office allows people to use certain SAMO sites under certain provisions, including but not exclusive to weddings, photo shoots, and filming.
           
 On set of Roadies at Peter Strauss Ranch, SAMO 

      Filming has been done at Paramount Ranch since Paramount Studies bought the parcels of land that they saw fit for their productions. A town was constructed to film what we would call, “Old Western Movies.” Some of these buildings remain in SAMO’s Paramount Ranch where filming is still done today. During my time with permits, I was able to stay involved with the rangers as they kept the area safe from what the film crew wanted to do for the different scenes. Upon signing a permit with SAMO, there are certain terms and conditions that must be met in order to preserve the resources within the area. These particular rangers continuously check for compliance with the terms of the permit. This gave me a new perspective on the very many pieces of the puzzle that come together to form SAMO.

     The crew for the television series, Roadies, had decorated the otherwise empty interior at Peter Strauss Ranch. When I think of filming that is done around here, I would generally think of Paramount. It was awesome to see what the crew did with the space. Once they leave, they will have to put the space back the way it had been before they started. 


     Additionally! I was able to observe a ranger perform a rifle qualification at the range. It was the first time that I have seen a qualification happen. It was great to get a look at a process that I will be a part of in due time.

       The conversations that I have had with people across the divisions of SAMO have shown me how important it is for collaboration to protect the NPS area. On separate occasions, I have heard that SAMO is one large family. As my time here continues, I am excited to see how the rest of the summer unravels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment