Thursday, July 28, 2016

Lightning at Cumberland

This past week I've incorporated the risk of lighting striking a visitor into my Preventative Search and Rescue Plan. Cumberland Island is a barrier island, which means hurricanes and storms frequently affect the island. When there is a storm lighting frequently strikes the island. When someone gets hit by lightning, it causes the heart rhythm to become disorganized. These disorganized heart rhythms include ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia. Both of these rhythms require a shock from an Automated External Defibrillator (AED). I took advice from my good friend and fellow ProRanger Brittany Kriner. Brittany is working on many projects at Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. One of her projects includes mapping out the locations of all AED's in the park. When someone requires a shock from an AED, you will most definitely want to know where the closest is located. Disorganized heart rhythms are extremely time sensitive. I thought this project was really helpful so I decided to do the same at my park, thanks to Brittany's advice. I've incorporated the location of each AED in my Preventative Search and Rescue Program so future rangers will have this vital information readily available. Thanks Britt !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment