Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Grateful to be here




Hi, I’m Johan Urena and I will tell you a few things about myself. I am a first-generation
college student as both my parents are from the Dominican Republic.
I spent most of my adolescent years in Queens, New York City, and Brooklyn, New York City
until the age of 15. I then moved to Philadelphia in 2012 with my brother, father, and mother.
Therefore, I’ve been a Philadelphian ever since, but a New Yorker at heart.
Since living here in Philadelphia, my family and I have rescued four cats and one dog
from the ASPCA and given them a forever home.
The dog was my idea. I always wanted one. 


Leadership Camp at New River Gorge, WV



Starting my college career at Temple Univerity in 2016, I originally joined as a
Biology major and I discovered that Biology was not for me.
I then switched majors to Criminal Justice. After doing some research in the types of careers with
a Criminal Justice degree, I was overwhelmed with the possibilities.
That was when I first heard of the ProRanger Program by Professor Travis Meyers.
What drew my attention towards the ProRanger Program was the chance to go out and broaden my
knowledge of National Parks. Since I grew up in urban neighborhoods my entire life,
I never had the chance to go out and explore nature. This opportunity jumped out at me, and
I had to take the chance. I was attracted to the diversity that the ProRanger Program has and what
I can bring to the table. I was also attracted to the opportunity this program offers such as the
training in law enforcement that grew my passion for this Program even more. 
It gave me a sense of community and fitting in with these extraordinary people

Recruitment Table at Temple Ambler's Campus 

During my summer internship, I hope to learn better communication skills. I hope
to learn this by listening to other Law Enforcement Officers to communicate with the general public.
Communication is an important skill Law Enforcement Officers need to be proficient in.
This skill can help de-escalate situations between the officers and the general public. 
During my summer internship, I also hope to learn how to be a better ranger.
I want to be a sponge and absorb the information that my mentor and fellow U.S Park Rangers
will teach me. I know I will learn a lot on the summer internship and I want to take all that
information in and be the best ranger I can be. In general, I’m grateful for this opportunity to
even be here.

Recruitment Table with Ranger Fernandez 
I hope to spend my summer in a park that I will love. All parks are different in their own unique way.
I’m just grateful to have this opportunity to visit U.S National Parks. Having the opportunity to
work in any U.S National Park is a privilege to me. I can adapt to any environment and
will do the best I can to prove myself to the park. I love to challenge myself and help out as much as I can.
Any U.S National Park I get to summer intern at, I will do my best to represent myself. 
Hawaii Volcanoes, Thank you for having me, I look forward to being a helpful hand and doing my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment