Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Colonial Nat'l Historical Park Week 1




Its been a little over a week since I arrived at Colonial, and I must say that I am pretty pleased so far with all the staff that I have met, and the area that I live. My first few days was mainly an orientation to the area with my supervisor, Ken, who drove me around the park. The first couple of days would remind me of how Steve Clark informed us of what Rangers are required to do in the park when a problem occurs. Two juvenile fugitives broke out of their transport van and escaped onto park grounds, and were hiding in the battlefield areas.







This prompted the rangers of Colonial, and also other law enforcement officers from the surrounding area such as, York County Police, Sheriff's Dept, Newport News Park Rangers, and assistance by the K-9 Squad. I had the chance to witness a debriefing and plan of action taken by all these agencies together in the maintenance portion of the park. The communication by these agencies in the working together to achieve a common goal was a phenomenal thing for me to see, because one can often hear of how ineffective communication in times of crisis can occur and make matters worse. However, it also made me have the thought process of that, "If you break the law, we will hunt you down and find you", and surely later on that night the two individuals were back into custody. It was a very fun introduction into law enforcement in the park. This week I've been doing interpretation at the Visitor's Center, and have had the chance to attend various tours, as well as visit many sites in order to increase my park knowledge concerning the events that Colonial signifies. I look forward to a fun summer, and wish all of my prorangers the same!!

No comments:

Post a Comment