Friday, July 26, 2013

Visits with ProRangers at their park internships

Since 2010, I have been working with the ProRanger program, but this year I was finally able to visit some of the ProRangers at their internship sites.  Over the past week, my son and I traveled to meet with the ProRangers and their supervisors at Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Prince William Forest Park, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, and Antietam National Battlefield.  I also plan to make visits to Independence National Historical Park and Valley Forge National Historical Parks.  

It was exciting to see our Temple ProRangers in action!  I was able to observe all of them in uniform interacting with park visitors in various circumstances.  Each of their supervisors made the time to meet with me and review progress over this summer as well as their experiences with previous students and the program overall.  And, I was honored that one superintendent and deputy superintendent met with me to discuss the program and the challenges facing their park.

My interactions with the park rangers, staff and volunteers at every park were universally positive.  It was a wonderful week and it reinforced my feeling that I am privileged to be associated with this extraordinary organization. Over the next few days I will be posting more detailed blogs and photos of my visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment