Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Monocacy National Battlefield


Hello, my name is Tim Greene and I have the privilege of being a Temple University ProRanger at Monocacy National Battlefield in Frederick, Maryland. Monocacy? I wasn't sure how to pronounce it either, or where to locate it on a map. However, after my first few weeks, I can not think of a better place to start my journey with the National Park Service. My short time here at a relatively small park has been a great experience and I am surrounded by a staff that welcomed me with open arms. 

Monocacy National Battlefield- Thomas Farm

My first week was with Resource Management, so I was able to break myself in by hauling logs, clearing brush, and getting the trails ready for the summer visitors. It was refreshing to be in the beautiful, rural environment. Unhealthy trees were removed to make a clear trail entrance and provide a safer place to hike and explore. My week with Resource Management was over before I knew it, but my time landscaping was not. The following week with maintenance included weed whacking for the majority of time, due to the heavy rain we received the week before. I was impressed with how much land the maintenance crew is able to mow and trim in a relatively short amount of time. The mowers are able to cover a lot of land quickly, however the artwork of handling a weed whacker also makes for a beautiful landscape. Learning how to properly put together, replace the string, and clean a weed whacker are skills that I will use for the rest of my life. My first two weeks of working in the sun and being outside was an experience that I enjoyed. Being in the outdoors is something I appreciate.


I was lucky to work with Nick, a Biological
Science Technician, who had experience with
cutting down trees.
 The guys at Maintenance showed me how they
work as a team to accomplish a large task.























The next week included working with the Administration. Monocacy shares an administration staff with Antietam National Battlefield, where the Administration building is located. I learned how they handle the budget, determine paychecks, order things that the park needs and can afford, and really serve as the communication center of the park. I look forward to my second week with them in late July to learn more about programs like FBMS (Financial and Business Management System). 

I am currently serving with the Interpretative Staff who are stationed at the visitor center. 

Monocacy hosts Ranger Programs each day at 11am and 2pm
where visitors are told and shown what happened during
the Battle that Saved Washington.
I am enjoying working with these people who are so passionate about giving the visitor a great experience. Interpretive Rangers, such as Brian Dankmeyer (above), are the face of the park. They have taught me different ways to make sure the visitors enjoy their time at Monocacy, while learning the significance of what happened here in 1864. They are constantly working on different projects to enhance the experience, and are proactive thinkers on how to improve each day. I am fascinated at how many different skill sets it takes to run a park, and I look forward to learning more while having fun in my remaining seven weeks. 

More blogs to come!


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you've been busy. Looking forward to seeing your handiwork soon.

    ReplyDelete