Thursday, June 11, 2015

SLBE Week 1 & 2

     Hello! My name is Julia, and I am the ProRanger interning at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore this summer in Empire, Michigan. I am currently a rising senior at Temple University, studying Public Health. I am thrilled to be at Sleeping Bear Dunes this summer. This park is rich with bountiful natural resources, including beautiful bluffs and beaches, as well as plenty of sand dunes to climb, all of which inspired me to set the goal of hiking every trail in the park before my 10-week internship is over.

The Mobile Command Center - North Bar Lake Incident
     My first few days at the park consisted of employee training days, where all new and returning employees discussed the mission of SLBE, new projects the park was undertaking, and many policies: ranging from bat and tick safety to operational leadership. Wednesday, I spent the morning with Chief Ranger Phil Akers discussing my goals in the National Park Service and spent the afternoon in dispatch with Mr. Tom Davison learning how to use the radios, various groups and modes to ensure interoperability with other departments. Thursday, I went on my first ride along with Ranger Joe Lachowski, where we responded to a medical call outside of the park. We arrived first on scene, where Joe performed CPR and the patient was delivered six shocks from an AED, before being transported to the local medical center. They underwent surgery and survived! Saturday, the Ranger division-- accompanied by Benzie County and Leelanau County Deputies, Michigan State Troopers, and the Traverse Narcotics Team-- responded to a planned 800-person illegal party at North Bar Lake they became aware of through social media. The show of force showed a reaction on social media and deterred any illegal activity in the area.

     My second week, I sat in on the Wildland Fire Refresher for employees with their Incident Qualifications Card. Below are pictures of the class practicing deploying fire shelters, which rangers should only use as a last resort when a route of exit from a fire is not available.

      The rest of this week, I will be shadowing the Administration Department, where I will learn about personnel, job descriptions, hiring, property, purchasing, as well as budgets, accounts and the various systems that allow administration to respond to these needs within the park.

     Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment