Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Arriving at Gettysburg!

View from President Eisenhower's Farm
When first arriving at Gettysburg, I didn’t know what to expect out of the summer. But since arriving, I know I am in for one fun filled, adventurous summer. Leaving at 4:30 in the morning to get here for the Seasonal/Intern Interpretation Division Orientation was most defiantly worth it. I was able to meet other college interns from various colleges in the region who are spending their summer interning as interpretation rangers, and it was nice to share our outlooks of the summer with each other. Within two hours of being at Gettysburg for the orientation, I got to meet our Deputy Superintendent Tom Forsyth, as well as our Superintendent Ed Clark. It was a pleasure meeting them within the first few hours I was there, and I knew that this was the right park for me when I learned about their outlook on the parks future, and the work ethic they expected not only of us, but all of the NPS employees.

Unknown soldiers cemetery markers
 After our morning of getting to know each other as well as meeting some of the supervisors in the park, we headed out to Eisenhower National Historic Site for a picnic lunch with all of the seasonal rangers, as well as the Superintendents and many more supervisors we had yet to meet. It was another great experience being able to get to know them over lunch, and to see all of the different backgrounds of each employee and each Supervisor. After that, the rest of the day was dedicated to touring Eisenhower National Historic site, which was so fascinating, and a favorite spot of mine in my time here so far. At the end of the day, I finally meet with my Supervisory Ranger, and knew this was the right place just by interacting with him and a few other members of the LEO staff when I went to the office. Before finally heading to the house I would be staying in, I got invited to a going away party the next day for one of the LEO officers who is leaving for Valley Forge. I accepted, knowing it would be a great time to get to know other members of the GETT NPS staff, and get to know him even if it was only for one day. It was definitely a great time, getting to know my supervisor and other LEO officers better, and learning about the officer’s story who was leaving, and getting lots of advice from him, which I will defiantly use in the future.



Cannon on Pickett's Charge Battlefield

The following three days consisted of touring each distinct part of Gettysburg’s battlefields, and learning more about them, which was beneficial to most of us coming into it with very little knowledge of in depth information. It was an amazing experience to see the amount of history that took place, and how much of it was preserved, and how the interpretation rangers do an excellent job in portraying that to all of the visitors that come through the park! For my first week being at GETT, it has been an amazing, fun, and exciting time, and I am looking forward to see what the rest of the summer will bring

My house for the summer

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to come and see the park. I'm so proud of you for exploring this opportunity

    ReplyDelete