Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Heating Up

Human Damage to Historical Structure
Hello my name is Nicholas Fitzke and I am the ProRanger currently stationed at San Juan National Historic Site.

Week two is complete and things are going well. This week I focused heavily on studying the jurisdiction, superintendent's compendium, and CFR violations that occur regularly in the site.

My supervisory officer showed me sites where previous incidents have happened and told me stories about how they were resolved. He likes to say that he is giving me "Tools" for my tool box. This is him passing on wisdom for me to use at later points.

One notable thing that happened this week was a visitor to the park passed out due to the heat (Heat Stroke). We responded alongside a local ambulance. This incident just illiterates how hot it can get here in the Caribbean.

I also got to examine some of the sites historical/cultural artifacts. This was a really cool experience because I got to see all kinds of Spanish armaments (swords, armor, etc.) and other objects that the site owns.


Just like week one I continued to work on my visitor contacts. I think the culture shock is fading and I'm starting to get used to my new home. Looking forward to week three.

No comments:

Post a Comment