Friday, August 26, 2016

It's Not a Goodbye, It's a see you later!

NPS Fire 
Hello everyone. I apologize for the delay in my last blog update for the internship. It’s been a whirlwind since I have come home! But regardless, here it is! My last week at Gettysburg was a fun one, with doing more patrols with everyone, and continuing to broaden my knowledge of Law Enforcement skills, knowledge, and history. All while at the same time still networking and meeting great people during my last week there. I found that no matter what, you will continually meet and talk to people within the service that amaze you and are great people to know for the future! The whole aspect of meeting so many people was by far the highlight of my internship experience at GETT.
 

NPS Fire Response Brush Truck
I was fortunate enough to meet three of the guys from the Mid Atlantic Regional fire team, who were on site doing building surveys of all of the buildings at GETT and Eisenhower National Historic Site. As many of you can guess, I was super excited and grateful to meet more people related to fire work in the parks, as that would be a big second interest of mine within the parks! The guys were great, and had a blast talking and joking with them while on patrol with Ranger Ludwick. After talking to them for a bit, we headed out to National Night out to do some PR for the park and for the NPS as a whole. It was a good time and we had many interested kids come up and ask us questions. To finish that night, we spent more time back at headquarters fine tuning my skills of field stripping our rifles and handguns. I also inquired about the different styles that certain groups have within the park service, like the SET teams and some other divisions within other parks. The rest of the week consisted of more patrols, some speeding stops, a guy climbing a monument, and some security alarm issues. Like always though, through each encounter we responded to, I continued to expand my knowledge, all while getting to know Ranger Ludwick and the other officers better.


What the Snap says! Let the Battle Begin!
The hardest part of the last week was saying my goodbyes to everyone, as everyone at the park who I had the chance to work with or encounter are amazing employees and even better human beings. I was able to say goodbye to mostly everyone I had worked with or encountered, unless they were on vacation or off, and I was glad I still had the chance to email them my thanks for letting me learn what they do. The saddest but at the same time happiest part of the week was our end of summer bash at our house with all of the seasonals and interns.  We had an amazing night, filled with food, time period clothing, time period dances (which I must say are much harder then they look), and to cap the night off, why not an epic nerf gun battle! It was definitely a great way to end what was an amazing summer with the people I got close to and learned the most from! This is only the start of what I can tell will not only be a great program experience for myself, but for all of the other interns and seasonal's I had the chance to meet and work with! The park service has a lot to look forward to with all of the young upcoming individuals that want to become rangers, and I am proud to be one of them, and become friends with many more! So thank you to everyone who has been reading my posts, as there will be more to come throughout the semester so stay tuned! Also, a big thanks to GETT  for taking me in with wide open arms and showing me everything you had to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment