Saturday, August 19, 2017

Park Visit, and Getting Down to Business


Park Visit, and Getting Down to Business 


Weeks 8&9 


I recently had the opportunity to share my summer parks and experiences with M. Luongo. I got to introduce members of the park team to M. Luongo. We held several meetings to discuss the parks and their involvement in the ProRanger program. I also shared the fantastic resources with him and explained what I did all summer long.

Mr. Luongo, Chief Ranger Padilla, ProRanger McAuley, Ranger Morales, Carribean Superintendent Lavasseur 

Mr. Luongo getting a tour of CHRI, SARI, and BUIS 
Enjoying a traditional Carribean breakfast at the fort
AIAC Conference at Salt River Bay: an exhibit opened up at the NPS visitor center. Here, we got to see a number of pre-Columbian artifacts from historic St. Croix communities. 



Things did not slow down at the park. There was an oils spill out at Buck Island Reef National Monument. The boat that spilled to oil was aware of the problem but did not report it, nor did they try and solve the problem.
This incident left a large section of the water with diesel fuel. There were also two victims that were caught in the pollution resulting in slight eye and skin irritation.

I Assisted Ranger Rivera in the victim interviews and statements. I also helped with collecting evidence. Because of the location of the incident we worked closely with, Green Cay Marina, U.S Coast Guard, and DPNR. All the different agencies worked together to gather facts.

This experience was my second time this summer working on evidence collection and investigation tactics. It was a great experience and taught me a tremendous amount.

In addition to working on the oil spill case, I was able to continue operating the patrol boat out at Buck Island, ride along to Salt river, and do foot patrols at the fort. I really enjoy my time back in Christiansted.




No comments:

Post a Comment