Monday, July 30, 2018

Heart of the Mountains- ProRanger Tour

Heart of the Mountains


This week at SAMO has been one amazing adventure! I finally met face to face with my program coordinators. They visited my park site learn about distinct features of the park in addition to various areas where I have worked. Most importantly their visit was based on me displaying what I learned about the unique features of my park site, history, daily operations and challenges faced by VRP division. I was also able to get some basic Taser training use done with my supervisor.



This week southern California experience another heat wave. Despite the heat the tour went as planned. I met with program coordinators and toured them around the magnificent Santa Monica Mountains. I showed them highlight areas of the park and explained the significance of each location. We hiked some trails and drove through the heart of the mountains. The views were breathtaking!
Solstice Canyon Waterfalls


Close up of waterfall

 Along the tour we met with many visitors and made some interesting contacts. Each contact made the tour more and more interesting. Some of them have been visiting the SAMO recreation area for more than 20 years. 
Visitors that make the SAMO great!!

This park has actually impacted the local community in ways I could not have imagined. The positive impact keeps them coming back to enjoy the Mediterranean ecosystems. I’m proud to say that the NPS truly lives up to the mission statement derived from the Organic Act by preserving the natural environment for posterity.
High five with my new friend

Preserving historical areas

Mr. Fernandez pushing me to my limits

There's a new sheriff in town
            

Hike at Rocky Oaks to see the pond. What would I do without my map 😄
            


I introduced my Program coordinators to SAMO employees such as the park Superintendent, LE division chief along with the LES and my supervisor. It was a fun experience being tasked with setting up the program tour. My supervisor and other members of VRP were very helpful in giving me assistance to ensure my tour was worthwhile. 


Awarding appreciation plaque
The best way to show recognition is to let people know that they are appreciated. At the end of the tour we had an appreciation ceremony awarding the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreational Area. The ProRanger program presented the SAMO a plaque thanking them on behalf of Temple University for participating in this year’s program.


Taser training was awesome!!

Just deployed my first cartridge. Electrifying!!




 After going through a PowerPoint presentation I learned about control electronic devices (ECD). The slides consisted of safety fundamentals, parts of the Taser, areas to avoid when using Tasers on people, use of force and the incapacitating effects of the device. After the PowerPoint we got to use ECD on targets while undergoing active threat situations. It was a great learning experience to have under my belt.
Removing Probes from target






No comments:

Post a Comment