Friday, May 31, 2019

A Refreshing Start

A Refreshing Start
A day after leadership camp I headed to Philadelphia International Airport and soon after I arrived in Newport News, Virginia. I met my supervisor at the airport and he was so easygoing and friendly! We clicked right away as we began to drive down the beautiful historical tour roads of Colonial Historical National Park.
Bald Eagle, Wormley Pond, Yorktown Battlefield

My supervisor worked first shift that week, which started by opening all of the historical tour road gates at sunrise. While doing so, we were fortunate enough to spot box turtles sunbathing in Beaver Dam, colorful domesticated ducks roaming the fields of Surrender Road, and bald eagles perching by creeks looking for their next meal. After our refreshing peaceful morning, law enforcement took the lead while driving down the 23 mile Colonial Parkway. I had the opportunity to call on the radio, and respond to dispatch for the first time. I learned fairly quickly the phonetic alphabet and basic communications within the park. In between our traffic stops, I was fortunate enough to get introduced to various park divisions and discuss their meticulous inter workings. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly and I gained access to a lot of information.

Complimentary CPR Training
On my third day working, my supervisor offered a CPR class to me, and all of the Park Rangers at Colonial. in a span of three hours, I became certified in CPR in adults, children, and infants.  
CPR Training Materials, Ranger Office

Common Violations at COLO
By being at this park for a week, I learned common violations that were relevant to the locality of Colonial Historical National Park.

Tour roads in Yorktown: potential for archeological resource violations/ destruction or taking natural resources.

Colonial Parkway: there recently has been construction on the bridges in Colonial Parkway. As a result, various traffic violations occur such as 36 CFR 4.12 (failure to comply with traffic control device.)

Parkway Pull-outs: there are a plethora of pull-outs along Colonial Parkway which serve the purpose of fishing, U-Turns and a place to sit and eat lunch while watching a pretty view. These pull-outs are very resourceful when it comes to ones leisure time, however, there are many violations that occur in pull-outs. Fishing license checks happen often between visitors and Park Rangers. Additionally, launching or docking vessels such as boats or kayaks are prohibited.


To Conclude

In short, it is awesome to witness all of the fine details that require effort to make Colonial Historical National Park a beautiful, safe space. As an extra factor, I am eager to contribute, and be in service to Colonial Historical National Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment