Monday, July 22, 2019

Captured Conch

Captured Conch

Sandy Point National Wildlife Rescue 

Greetings! My name is Connor Caruso from cohort 7. This summer I have the opportunity to go on an internship in the US Virgin Islands. For the next two weeks, I will be spending time with various divisions at Christiansted National Historic Site (CHRI) in St. Croix.

This week, I had the opportunity to visit Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge and meet the refuge manager, Mike Evans. During the visit, Mike explained that he received nearly 150 lbs. of seized conch from Customs and Border Patrol agents at the airport. While most evidence is destroyed via incineration, Mike explained the ecological benefits provided through disposing of the conch in the sea. Looking for an alternative way to dispose of the evidence, Mike asked Ranger Laurencin if the National Park Service would be willing to assist the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Ranger Laurencin and I agreed to assist with disposing of the evidence. After filing out a chain of custody form, Ranger laurencin and I loaded three large boxes of frozen conch into the back of the patrol vehicle.

150 lbs. of Seized Conch 


After loading the seized conch into the back of the patrol vehicle, we made our way to the marina in order to transfer the evidence onto the law enforcement vessel for disposal in the sea. To properly dispose of the evidence, we traveled over three miles away from St. Croix to ensure the conch wouldn't wash up on shore. Once we were far enough away from the island, Ranger Laurencin, Ranger Clarke, and I prepared to dispose of the evidence.

Transporting the Conch Out to Sea
Ranger Clarke Preparing to Dispose of Seized Conch 

Once the conch was removed from the plastic packaging, we dropped the frozen conch into the sea. Although disposing of slimy frozen conch isn't the most glamorous task, it was nice to be able to assist the USFWS. 
Dropping the Frozen Conch in the Sea 




After disposing all of the conch into the sea, Ranger Laurencin let me captain the vessel as we made the three mile journey back to the marina. I enjoyed the ability to practice my boating skills as I prepare for MOCC training. Although my time at Christiansted National Historic Site is rapidly concluding, I look forward to my last few weeks on the island.

Until next time,

ProRanger Caruso

No comments:

Post a Comment