Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Flat Hat Goals

Hello everyone,
My name is Daniel Boyce, and I welcome you to my first ProRanger Blog post. I am currently a senior and a Criminal Justice major at Temple University. I`m also a member of ProRanger Cohort 7. You might find yourself asking, “How does someone interested in being a National Park Ranger end up going to school in the city?” Don’t worry, I was asking myself the same question. Allow me to elaborate. I credit my interest in emergency services to being surrounded by police, fire, and E.M.S. as a child thanks to my family`s business; like many young boys I wanted to be a fireman. My innocent love for the outdoors turned to outdoor stewardship as a Boy Scout who went on to earn the rank of Eagle Scout. My career goals fluctuated through high school, but I was settling between the state park police or county park ranger. I had yet to have a job working indoors at the time, and I wanted to keep it that way. Upon researching such opportunities, I stumbled upon the ProRanger program. I saw the Law Enforcement rangers for the National Park Service were responsible for carrying out law enforcement, firefighting, and emergency medical services roles. In that instant I suddenly had a new found interest in going to school in the city. Fast forward through earning my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice at my local community college, I finally transferred to Temple University in the fall of 2018. Patience and perseverance paid off, and I was accepted into Cohort 7 in November of 2018.


Rappelling at Leadership Camp in New River Gorge. Photo Credits to Dr. McGarvey
During the week you will likely find me spending early mornings at one of our P.T. sessions and late nights at the Tech Center completing homework. Adjusting to city life, especially as a transfer student, was hard so I really value the friendships I have developed with, and because of, my fellow ProRangers. We only meet about once a month for weekend activities, but we rarely go 24 hours without seeing each other. On campus I am also a member of Temple`s Adventure Bound club. We are a group of like-minded students who enjoy going on what are typically day long outdoor expeditions. I was shocked to find out the founders went to the same community college I did and had started the club there. I pick up work whenever I`m called upon for my family business, and I work seasonally on a few farms and a scout camp during the summer. Working outdoors has definitely inspired me to stay out of a cubicle. In the scout camp I primarily served as the Assistant Ranger which performs maintenance duties. I look forward to time spent with maintenance during my internship. During the most recent fall semester I earned my Emergency Medical Technician certification after wanting to do so for years. Knowing the need for such a certification to go out West was my inspiration. As of lately you will find me on a Friday night or weekend day serving as a volunteer E.M.T. in my neighboring township. Having a certification on paper is one thing but I seek to gain some patient care experience before carrying out such duties in a park for the first time. I am a few shifts in with zero patient contacts so far, but perhaps that’s a good thing? I am told that is anything but ordinary.
A view from the Neversink Loop trail during my most recent hike with the Adventure Bound club.

Performing preventative maintenance on a tractor at work.

My experiences and interactions thus far with the National Park Service have primarily been through weekend activities and the law enforcement division at Independence National Historical Park. I am happy to say that the N.P.S. employees who the cohort and I have been fortunate enough to interact with treat us very well. It is a small world, and we have already learned that the V.R.P. world is even smaller. I have spent many days at the site closest to my home, Gateway National Recreation Area. Years ago I visited a few parks in the western United States including the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, and Petrified Forest. At this time I hope to end up permanently somewhere that will afford me the opportunity to carry out fire and E.M.S. roles. I do look forward to details and field training that might take me elsewhere to learn the varying functions and duties on National Park rangers. The opportunity to be placed into a ProRanger internship is one that I value greatly. Some ranger I have encountered have expressed their desire to have taken this route. Each of my fellow ProRangers standing alongside me in the cohort have outstanding strengths. It cannot be taken for granted that we surpassed the many that stood amongst us as applicants at Preview day. This summer I hope to be a “sponge” as we have repeatedly been told to be; soak up all the information and develop professional connections. Every ranger has their own way of carrying out their duties so I expect to learn different techniques and perspectives. I personally think about the challenges rangers face in knowing their park when they can change parks so quickly. Knowing your response area and who you interact with is vital in law enforcement. This is another area I hope to understand more through my internship.

 
Until that time, I bid you farewell. Coming soon to a park near you,
Daniel Boyce
ProRanger-Cohort 7

No comments:

Post a Comment