Sunday, March 29, 2020

From County to National


Hi! My name is Trevor Gardner. I was born in to a military family in a very rural area of Maine. I spent much of my time outdoors as a young child, which helped create my love for nature now. When I was young, my family and I had to move a lot, going from military base to military base until finally we ended up in Annapolis, Maryland. Here, I got involved with Boy Scouts and worked my way up to the rank of Eagle Scout.

  
Eagle Scout Ceremony


Before working on my Eagle Scout project, I didn’t know what I wanted to do after I graduated college. I was planning on getting a degree in business as a “safe” degree while I figured out what I wanted to do. However, when I began work on the Eagle Scout project, I had to talk to county park rangers to get permits for my build. After talking to them, I knew I wanted to be a park ranger. After a few years and a few interviews, I landed a job as an Anne Arundel County Park Ranger.

    First job as a park ranger

I really enjoyed working as a county park ranger. I was in constant contact with not only the people of my community, but also with nature. I had a firsthand account of what it took to take care of a park and provide the best experience for the people within. While I was happy working at the park, I knew I wanted to go farther.
Pepper spray training




I began to research college programs that trained people to be national law enforcement rangers, without much hope of success. Then, the Temple ProRanger program popped up. I attended a few meetings with the administration, got into Temple and then joined the 7th cohort of the ProRanger program.





              Arrest and search training


The program has introduced me to many different parks, whether through visiting the site or doing a lot of research on them. I have come to really enjoy parks with water access, be it a river or the ocean, and parks that are rural that could bring me back to what I was used to when I was growing up. During my summer internship I hope to learn about the side of law enforcement that people don’t usually think about when they consider law enforcement – paperwork and administrative services. I also want to learn what it takes to maintain a park, both the nature and the people. 

    The ProRangers





I am excited to start my internship and looking forward to a great summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment