Sunday, April 12, 2020

Wilderness Patrols


Wilderness Patrols 


View of Yosemite Valley and Half Dome from Union Point
Hello ProRangers and park people! This past week I spent time working in the Yosemite Medical clinic and on the Valley Ambulance. However, this weekend I also had the opportunity to conduct my first wilderness patrol! Although the park is currently closed to visitors, wilderness patrols ensure trail systems are well maintained for future use. This week, I patrolled a section of the Four Mile trail, which provides spectacular views of Yosemite Valley, El Capitan, Half Dome and Yosemite Falls. During the patrol, I removed fallen debris from the trail, collected litter and surveyed snowfall to determine when the entirety of the trail will reopen. I look forward to conducting more wilderness patrols in the weeks to come and sharing my experiences with you!

View of Yosemite Falls from the Four Mile Trail
During the patrol I removed a lot of fallen debris from previous storms that obstructed the trail. Removing fallen branches and rocks from the trail limits the potential for future injuries and ensures visitors have a pleasant hiking experience. Removing debris from the trail also includes litter. Over the course of my patrol I removed plastic water bottles, wrappers and stickers from trail signs. While hiking a snowy section of trail, I realized that I wasn't the only one hiking! 

Debris blocking sections of the trail
A pile of litter and stickers found along the trail
Looks like I wasn't the only one on the trail!



Before and after picture with sticker removal

I look forward to another week here in Yosemite. Check back next week to see what I have been up to.

Until next time,

ProRanger Caruso


No comments:

Post a Comment