Monday, July 20, 2020

East of Mead


Welcome back, loyal blog fans! I concluded my last blog post with “Coming soon to a park near you”. Unfortunately, that statement did not come true due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I have since arrived at a park near me. As the world changed around us, I remained optimistic about the situation despite the grim circumstances. My Westward travel became impossible and I was reassigned to Gateway National Recreation Area in my home state of New Jersey. Specifically, the unit known as “Sandy Hook”. The rangers at Sandy Hook have referred to it as “The Far East Division of Lake Mead”.
Gateway N.R.A.-Sandy Hook Unit Entrance Sign
COVID-19 Social Distancing Sign
My supervisor and ProRanger alumni, Ranger Lyle, gave me a tour of the park during my first week. Program Manager Greene has also spent time here! Throughout the day I was introduced to supervisors, seasonal rangers, traffic control, and fee collection rangers. I was impressed by how kind and welcoming each ranger was. Scattered throughout the park are retired missiles, anti-aircraft guns, and the concrete structures which housed them. When I visited as a child, I thought they were simply the coolest things I had ever seen. Now returning as an adult and N.P.S. intern, I have come to understand the major role Sandy Hook played in defending the East Coast. From 1874 to 1919 the Army used Sandy Hook as a proving ground to test new weaponry. For this reason, ordnances have been found on the beach. As technology developed, Nike Missiles were housed here from 1954 to 1974. Supervisory Rangers Lyle and Miller showed me where the missiles were stored, fueled, and assembled. They also explained the layout of Fort Hancock.
Retired Nike Missile along Hartshorne Drive

Continuing with things that were new to me, some of the park has changed post Superstorm Sandy.  Sandy occurred in 2012 and caused catastrophic damage to New Jersey. Looking closely at the picture attached you can see the water line on a booth in front of the old ranger station.  Sandy Hook has water on both sides of the park however the pictured booth is pretty far inland. Since the storm, the Ranger Station, Welcome Center, and other buildings have been moved elsewhere.
Superstorm Sandy water line
Early on, we spent time at fee collection as a park closure was anticipated, which has been common, due to full capacity. That day was a very busy day to say the least. The number of spots remaining in the parking lots are continuously counted. There is one bridge that leads directly into the park.  Traffic frequently backs up well beyond the bridge into the neighboring towns. This has brought up opportunities to discuss jurisdiction and neighboring agencies. Fortunately, so far, when we have reached mid-day, some visitors leave, and the park has been able to remain open to accepting incoming visitors.   I have also patrolled with Ranger Patrick. Ranger Patrick welcomed me to the park with a patrol of Gunnison Beach on foot. Gunnison Beach is a clothing optional beach, the only one remaining in the state. That experience is not one I had anticipated when joining the ProRanger program. Within the first few days I had learned about common violations without even needing to ask. This is a heavy law enforcement park and the rangers here recommend starting at a park like Sandy Hook to develop your skills. Ranger Fernandez has always reminded us that law enforcement is first and foremost in this career. Attached you can see the holding cells at Sandy Hook.  In this area I observed rangers as they processed evidence from an earlier arrest.
Holding cells at the ranger station

Here is a warning sign that will one day alert visitors to the nude beach ahead. This area is not optimal for blog pictures.
 
 In the time I have already spent here, I have been fortunate enough to have discussed the ProRanger program with some of the seasonal law enforcement rangers. We have been told before that not everyone is a fan of the program. Fortunately, each of them has treated me well. We have had an open dialogue about the pros and cons of the ProRanger program versus the seasonal route. I feel it is very important to respect their hard work and to remain aware of the opportunity I have. On one of my recent days off I came in to develop a better understanding of the roadways in the park and road my bike throughout the park.
I believe I can speak for the entire cohort in saying that the past few months have been tense, to say the least. Having the opportunity to complete my internship, despite a pandemic, at Gateway N.R.A. is one that I am very grateful for. 




No comments:

Post a Comment