Tuesday, June 28, 2011

SNP --> Week 6


(Me helping to set up a tent)

The past week has literally revolved around the success of the 75th Anniversary of Shenandoah National Park. I spent the day Wednesday with Lora Peppers and Leslie (the chief ranger). We walked around making sure everything was in order, inspecting the bleachers for possible safety hazards, and completing any last minute tasks. I also spent a couple hours stapling NO PARKING and NO STOPPING signs to wooden stakes. The staple gun was a challenge at first but once I got the used to it, it was kind of fun. The day before the celebration I helped out the maintenance crew. Skip, the head of operations, assigned me to work with some of the YCC (youth conservation corps) kids. They are sort of like the modern equivalent of the CCC. The four of us set up more white tents than I could count! There seems to be a certification card for everything else in the Park Service so now I'm wondering where my "tent putter-upper" certification is... ;)

The re-dedication celebration happened on Saturday, June 25th at 10 a.m. I was assigned to the task of parking cars/directing traffic. I woke up that morning at 4 in order to make it up to the park by 6! I then worked all day standing in the middle of various fields telling people where to park. It may not have been the most glamorous job, but I never-the-less felt honored to have played even a small part on this very BIG day.

The week concluded yesterday with the ProRanger conference call. I've never participated in one before so it, also, was a new experience. It was really great to hear everyone's voices and equally as cool to hear about everyone else's most challenging moments and memorable experiences.

I am already looking forward to the many adventures that next week (week 7!) will hold. Next time I post it will be the night before we all travel to leadership camp!
See you all soon,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment