Sunday, April 15, 2012

Jordan Keiffer- Greetings NPS!

Hello all, my name is Jordan Keiffer and this is my first post on the ProRanger Blog. I am currently a sophomore Criminal Justice major at Temple University, and I was recently added to this amazing program late last year as part of the third cohort. I chose Criminal Justice as my major because I always say that I was lucky enough to grow up in a place where I could walk around at any point in the day, on any street, wearing and carrying anything, and not feel threatened. I realized that this was a privilege that not many Americans have, and I wanted to provide that feeling of safety and security to others. When I came across the program in a University email, I was blown away by the opportunities that it offered, and told myself that I would be a fool to not apply. The training opportunities are something that is very hard to come by, and the job security upon completion of the program was something that I could not pass up. I’ve visited dozens of National Parks thanks to family and friends, and their importance and beauty is truly something that makes this country great. The mixture of law enforcement and protecting our National Parks for future generations is a mission that I plan on fulfilling for the rest of my life. This summer I am being sent, with fellow ProRanger William Martinez, to the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River, also known as the Upper Delaware Water Gap. The park is located on the northeast border of Pennsylvania and New York, and follows the Delaware River for several miles. The park has a lot to offer, from the recreational activities like boating, fishing, canoeing, kayaking and hiking, to historical opportunities like the Zane Grey Museum, portions of the D&H canal and the oldest wire cable suspension bridge in the nation, The Delaware Aqueduct, designed by John A. Roebling, the future designer of the Brooklyn Bridge. From exploring the park through its website and other media, I can tell that this park is not only a fantastic place to spend a summer vacation, but is an even better place to live and work in. Exploring the parks cultural and natural elements is something that I am really looking forward to. I will also be given incredible training opportunities this summer, from basic law enforcement training to water safety courses, CPR, and instructions on how to operate government boats. We will experience firsthand how the park operates by working not only with the law enforcement Rangers, but with other departments like maintenance and interpretation as well. I have been told by Chief Ranger Joe Hinkes that William and I will be combating a recent problem at the park, water safety and drowning deaths. We will be helping to implement new water safety regulations, like life preserver usage, proper boat handling and understanding weather conditions that make the river more dangerous.  These water safety techniques and rules will make the visitors experience safer and ease the minds of the many volunteers and Rangers within the park. I cannot wait to leave for my park in less than a month and I look forward to keeping everyone updated on my summer experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment