Thursday, July 9, 2015

Colonial NHP Weeks 4/5

For the past two weeks I have been working with the maintenance division and the protection division.  The first week I spent with maintenance shadowing different people around the division and learning some of their jobs.  I learned how to make signs, which we use all around the park,  mostly to inform visitors when roads are open and closed and what area of the park they are in.  I also learned how to make keys for the buildings in the park, change the light bulbs in the Jamestown visitor center, which are UV protected because of the artifacts that are in there and I helped get one of our seasonal houses ready for our new superintendent who started this week.  

One of the coolest things I got to do was go up 75 feet in the bucket truck by the Yorktown Victory Monument and overlook the Yorktown River and see the sunrise over the Chesapeake.

Fourth of July week I spent with protection.  Surprisingly the holiday weekend nothing big happened.  The Yorktown fireworks, which are held on the fourth were canceled  two hours before they were set to go off due to an impending storm.  This is a county event that we assist with.  I did get to see a DUI arrest with my supervisor the following night, which was really exciting, especially because it was not a simple arrest.  The guy also had two warrants out on him.  It was an exciting end to my week with protection.


No comments:

Post a Comment