Sunday, June 5, 2016

Reporting in from Boston

           
I found mine here at Boston National Historical Park!

Boston is a city of many firsts including: The first public school, public park, news paper, and the first post office. Most importantly, Boston is known for being home to the first ever battle of the American Revolution. All of these “firsts” are what led me here this summer for my first summer internship and consequently my first blog post.
            I arrived in Boston on Saturday May 28th. I was immediately given a brief tour of the Charlestown Navy Yard by my supervisor who happens to be a former ProRanger.  Right from the start I was able to to see how the law enforcement rangers were able to manage and ensure public safety. My favorite part of the tour was seeing the law enforcement building and getting to meet all of the rangers. I knew right away that I was going to be able to learn a lot from each ranger.  After the tour, I was able to move in and make myself at home in the marine barracks located in the Charlestown Navy Yard.
USS Constitution in the dry dock

            The days that followed were filled with interpretation training. I was very lucky to be able to train right alongside the seasonal interpretation rangers. Both the talks and tours in training covered everything from the beginning to the end of the American Revolution including topics like the Boston Massacre and the Stamp Act. I am really grateful for this learning opportunity in interpretation for it has given me an entirely new appreciation for Boston National Historical Park. The tour of the Freedom Trail in addition to all of the information sessions enabled me to truly understand the American Revolution, and the importance the city of Boston played.
            Aside from just learning about the history that the park preserves, I was able to learn a little bit about the park and how it is managed. As of 2015, Boston National Historic Park, Boston African American National Historic Site, and the Boston Harbor Islands all fall under the management of Boston’s National Parks. The Superintendent is Michael Creasy. Boston National Historical Park is considered a “partnership park”. This means that the National Park Service works very closely with many other organizations to preserve and promote Boston’s history. As a future law enforcement ranger, I was able to learn about what jurisdiction LE rangers have within the city of Boston and around the park. The fact that it is a partnership park and is located right in Boston makes the jurisdiction very interesting and complicated.
Sunset in the Charlestown Navy Yard


            I am happy to be here in Boston. I am eager to learn as much as possible. I already see how much I have learned, and it has only been a week since my arrival. I can’t help but thank everyone here at Boston National Historical Park for making it possible for me to intern here this summer. I can see a lot of time and effort has gone into creating a carefully planned out summer for me. I am excited to be able to share everything that is in store for me through this blog. I will be spending time in the Boston Harbor Islands next week, so stay tuned to hear all about my up coming experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment