Thursday, August 3, 2017

Flora of the C&O Canal

The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal contains many miles of riparian area and one of the sites of greatest biodiversity in the country, particularly diversity of plants.  Unfortunately, I do not know that much about plants.  But here are a few I learned about this summer and some others I have attempted to identify, but I wouldn't necessarily take my word for all of them.

Ailanthus 
This invasive kind of smells like burnt peanut butter if you break off a branch.  Ailanthus means "tree of heaven."

Queen Anne's Lace

Sycamore

Tell tale bark shedding of the Sycamore

Paw Paw
Unbeknownst to most people I have met (including myself until about two years ago) not from Appalachia, the Paw Paw tree and the fruit it bears, also called Paw Paws, are things that exist.  Paw Paws are the largest native fruit in the Unites States.

Paw Paw
Japanese Stiltgrass
Another asian invasive, like the Ailanthus

Maple, probably Silver

Maple, probably Sugar

White Pine


Possibly an American Hornbeam 

Possibly a Tulip Poplar

Tulip Poplar?

Black Walnut 

Also a Black Walnut

No comments:

Post a Comment