Tuesday, May 28, 2019

“Jumping in” at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore


“Jumping in” at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Hello ProRangers and Park People!

          Since my first post I’ve graduated college, spent a week at New River Gorge training with ProRanger and started at my internship park, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (PIRO). Located along the shoreline of Lake Superior, PIRO is the first established National Lakeshore. It’s known for its multicolored cliffs, unusual sandstone formations, twelve-mile beach, and water recreation!

View from the Log Slide looking towards Au Sable Light
Lake Superior facing towards the Great Sand Dunes
My first couple of days at PIRO has been immersive, to say the least! After being checked into housing in Grand Marais, Chief Hughes was kind enough to drive me to the other end of the park in Munising. This allowed me to start orienting myself to the park, discuss its major functions, and what to expect for the summer. At the marina (the official docking port for the National Park Service boat, Arrowhead), I met Ranger Paupore who took us out onto Lake Superior for some of the best views in the park. Not even one day at PIRO and I was provided with a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The North Country Trail runs along all 42 miles of the park

Many of the trails have access points to the shore

On my first day, Ranger Paupore guided me through some of the major areas of the park through the eyes of a law enforcement officer. I found this time extremely valuable, because it allowed time to ask questions about 36 CFR laws, common violations, and general questions about the park. Later that day, Chief Hughes joined us on the Arrowhead for something pretty cool (pun intended) – jumping into Lake Superior! At around a brisk 35 degrees, the water temperature of Lake Superior demands cold water gear like dry suits. We took this time to check the function of our cold water gear for the season. After suiting up and putting on our life jackets, Chief Hughes and I took the plunge. This shocking exposure to the cold water of Lake Superior served as a catalyst for the necessity of proper water vessel operations and safety.



The days after were nothing short of beneficial and each ranger I worked with was able to provide a fountain of knowledge in their area of expertise. Ranger Tuuri (debatably one of the best boat operators in the upper peninsula) and I responded to an incident that required a water rescue. The individuals involved were returned safely back to shore, but without our quick and efficient response the outcome may have been different. In addition to its natural resources, PIRO is home to many historical resources like Au Sable lighthouse. I was lucky enough to have Ranger Hughes take me on a tour. Some of the best information about our parks come from individuals like Ranger Hughes, who care for the resources with a sincere sense of responsibility.

Au Sable Light Station

Built in 1873 the lens focal plane is 107 feet above sea level

I look forward to the rest of my summer here and feel thankful for the abundance of experience that the rangers around me are willing to share.

          Until next time,

          ProRanger Dover




   

No comments:

Post a Comment