Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Practice Pays Off

Practice Pays Off 



Greetings! My name is Connor Caruso from cohort 7. This summer I have the opportunity to go on an internship in the US Virgin Islands. For the next three weeks, I will be spending time with various divisions at Christiansted National Historic Site (CHRI) in St. Croix.

This past week was full of new learning experiences and lots of practice. I started out the week assisting Ranger Laurencin and Ranger Clarke with an event hosted in the area surrounding the park. In the past, this event has led to contacts that include; public intoxication, driving under the influence, and disorderly conduct. During the event, Ranger Laurencin provided instruction on how to conduct a standardized field sobriety test. Lucky for me, he had a field sobriety test field booklet that provides instructions on how to perform each test. After reading the field booklet, ranger Laurencin demonstrated how to properly preform a one leg stand, horizontal gauze nystagumus, and walk and turn test.

In addition to learning about standardized field testing, I was able to practice a variety of law enforcement contacts this week. Ranger Laurencin set up a handful of scenarios in order to test my ability to react to different situations. During the scenarios, I practiced using the radio and communicating with dispatch in order to; report my location, call in licence plates, run drivers licenses, and call for additional resources. The scenarios ranged from common contacts made with visitors such as a dog off leash, to more serious situations involving an armed suspect. My overall favorite scenario included the opportunity to drive a patrol vehicle and make a traffic stop! The scenarios provided great practice and time to learn new techniques that will help improve my officer presence and safety.

Scenario based training in the patrol vehicle

When I'm not working, I use my free time to gain a better understanding of the code of federal regulations and the NPS law enforcement reference manual. Having an understanding of 36 CFR is crucial in order to determine the types of actions that are, and are not, permissible in the park. After spending a few weeks reviewing 36 CFR, I am able to identify different types of violations that occur within the park. From this experience, I have learned that a well rounded ranger must constantly keep learning and practicing to keep up with evolving laws and regulations. 

My stack of reading material is really starting to pile up!
With only a few weeks left, I am eager to continue learning as much as possible. In the weeks to come, I will be undertaking MOCC training and hopefully practicing more law enforcement contacts through scenario based training. Check back next week to see what I have been up to!

ProRanger Caruso 

No comments:

Post a Comment