Sunday, July 14, 2019

The Opposite of ARACHNOPHOBIA!

My week started as a beautiful Monday morning. I was able to shadow the administration division for my eighth week at Colonial Historical National Park. During the start of the week, I attended a safety assessment meeting which was relevant to me because I am the public safety writer for Lincoln University’s Department of Public Safety. I was educated on development plans such as the hazard communications plan, the thermal extreme plan, and proper personal protective equipment. These plans are things that I will be bringing to awareness for Lincoln University's police department. The superintendent of Colonial Historical National Park deserves an honorable mention; She made such a presence in the meeting, it was quite admirable. Her words taught me that it is okay to be unsatisfied with statistics in a meeting, and it is okay to voice one's opinions and thought processes relevant to the issue or topic that is being discussed. 
Wearing Administration Gear Gifted by the VC, Jamestown Island

Another significant part of my week was learning about retirement plans that are offered with the National Park Service. I am now able to depict and articulate the three tier retirement program. I have never been more excited to start saving for retirement, and will do so using the TSP, and FERS. 


For the closing of my week, I met with the volunteer coordinator of COLO and began the process of helping to clean out historic horse stables. As one may know, I enjoy hands on work, so using a heavy duty vacuum and a fuel powered leaf blower acted as an amusement park for me! By cleaning out the sheds, I discovered a plethora of species of arachnids. In fact, when I used the leaf blower,  spiders blew everywhere including ON ME. I developed a new found desensitization for spiders (think the opposite of arachnophobia). 
Using a leaf blower, Wisteria Cottage 

No comments:

Post a Comment