Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Bye for Now, Boston

My Last week at Boston National Historical Park flew by, much like the other nine weeks did. It is hard to believe my first summer internship is complete.  My time spent in the park has really helped me out in a tremendous way. Throughout the summer I have met and formed relationships with many rangers, supervisors, chiefs, and even superintendents. I was able to learn so much from each one of them. I know know so much of what goes in to making a park run the way it does. I have learned that it takes an enormous amount of teamwork and cooperation to operate a national park.
I did a lot with my last week in Boston. The absolute highlight of the week was speaking at the regional directors meeting on Wednesday August third. I spoke about the Temple ProRanger program. I was able to talk about how important it was to the National Park Service and how it fit into the urban agenda. I talked about my experiences over the past ten weeks and how it would influence me and allow me to become a well-rounded ranger in the near future. I closed by thanking them for the opportunity to speak to all of them about my internship. After the meeting we all took a boat out to the Boston Harbor Islands. I was able to have several one on one conversations with several of the regional directors. This was a great experience and I am so glad I had the chance to meet with so many key park service personnel.
View of Boston Light 


The rest of the week was spent with law enforcement.  I enjoyed this a lot. This was by far my favorite division to work with, I am glad I got to spend some more time there.  On my last day they through me a going away lunch party. It was great to have everyone say their goodbyes. I was thankful to have the chance to thank them all for everything they have done for me. The great people at Boston National Historical Park are the driving force behind everything I was able to learn this past summer. So much hard work and planning went into ensuring that I did not miss out on a single moment at the park. This internship was extremely important. It got my career off to the best start. I left Boston feeling motivated, determined, and more knowledgeable than when I had first arrived.  Thank you to everyone who helped make this internship such an experience.
View from boat of the Boston Harbor 

No comments:

Post a Comment